Immigration Department
Office of the Chief Minister
341 Waterfront Drive, Ashley Ritter Building
Road Town, Tortola
or Vanterpool Building, Virgin Gorda
British Virgin Islands
Please note:

If you have a child born in the BVI and you are not a citizen, belonger or permanent resident, you are required to apply in writing to the Immigration Department for permission for your child to reside.
The immigration laws do not automatically grant any rights to persons born in the Territory of the British Virgin Islands to parents who are not citizens or belongers. Please contact the Immigration Department if you have a child born in the BVI in order to answer any questions you may have.

Please note:

If you are granted an exemption from the requirements of work permit, you are required to report to the Immigration Department to fulfill the requirements that would allow you to remain and work in the BVI.

Please Note:

Entry into the Territory for the purpose of engaging in employment requires permission from the Immigration Department.

Please note:

When your entry permit/time granted by the Immigration Department has expired, you are required to immediately report to the Department headquarters in Road Town, Tortola or The Valley, Virgin Gorda and request an extension of that permit?

Please note:

If your work permit or application for exemption renewal is being processed by the Labour Department, you are required to report to Immigration.

Please Note:

If you wish to change your Immigration status in the BVI, you are required to submit you request in writing to the department? For example, if you are presently residing as a dependant and wish to seek employment or vice-versa, you must submit this request in writing.

 BVI Ports Authority
 BVI Tourist Board
 Financial Services

Disaster Management
 Trade & Investment
 British Virgin Islands


- Visa Application
- Introduction of Visa Regime for Jamaican Nationals 

© 2007 Created and maintained by Gov't of BVI
Department of Information Technology - Information Systems Services
ver 1.0.0 5Jan07
Contact Us | SiteMap | Report site problems | Leave Feedback
Persons Coming for Employment

A person coming to the BVI for this purpose is required to produce at the port of entry:


a)       A letter issued to the prospective employer by the labour department approving his employment in the BVI.  This letter is presented by the prospective employer who has to be at the port of entry when the prospective employee arrives.

b)       Two copies of a police Certificate of charter from his country of birth in addition to country of residence prior to arrival.

c)        A certificate of good health from the country of embarkation (applications are supplied at the Immigration Office).


Such a person would be admitted for two weeks and advised to have their medical verified at the Immigration Clinic on the first Tuesday morning following their arrival.  Subsequently their work and entry permits should be picked up at the labor and immigration Department respectively


Work permits are issued by the Labour Department to non-BVI Landers in respect of a specific post with a specific employer in cases where positions can not be filled locally.  Before an Entry permit is issued, the holder of a letter of approval as in (a) above must obtain a Work Permit from the Labour Office.

Persons coming to establish a business or take up residence on an annual basis:


A person in either of the categories may visit the territory for a feasibility study.


Persons desirous of establishing a business are required to apply for and obtain a trade license from the Chief Ministers office via the department of Trade and Investment promotions.  Upon approval the requirements set out under the topic, persons coming for employment would then apply.


A person of this category is required at the port of entry to satisfy the requirements for a visitor. The visitor would then be admitted for a month.


The applicant would be required to furnish the following:


    1. A certificate of good health from the country of embarkation, Applications
        are available at the Immigration Office.

    2. Two copies of a Police Certificate of Character from the country of birth, in
        addition to country of residence on arrival.

Additionally, applicants in this category may make further application for Permanent Residency having established themselves successfully in the territory.

     Home> Related Government Services>Employment

 Laws & Regulations 
 Living in the BVI
 Ports of Entry
 Immigration Forms
 Related Services
 About Us